Sunday, January 24, 2010

Grade One Social Studies in February

I would like to suggest some ideas for grade one social studies for the month of February.

As a French teacher, I used this month as the opportunity to link French and history by having my classes learn about the Voyageurs and the Fur Trade. This inevitably led to studying the habits of our famous symbol, the beaver as well as the bison. As a grade one teacher, I included these studies as part of the social studies curriculum. The class learned about Canadian animals in the life systems strand of science: beaver, caribou, elk, deer, moose, and bison.

Once again, I had some favourite picture books:

Little Caribou by Sarah Fox-Davies
Little Beaver and the Echo by Amy MacDonald
A Dog Came, Too by Ainslie Manson
Boris the Beaver by Marcus Pfister

No comments:

Post a Comment